"Women are going to form a chain, a greater sisterhood than the world has ever known"
- Nellie McClung
You don’t have to be a front line worker to take action on big issues important to women and Canadians. There are many ways that you can contribute to the wellbeing of Canadians and promote equality, social justice, fellowship and life-long learning for women and girls. You can become an advocate for women’s rights: in your community, by supporting organizations and campaigns, and urging leaders to take action!
Get involved in your community
- Join your local CFUW club
CFUW members are leaders in their communities, contributing to local issues as well as participating in national campaigns. As a CFUW member you join a group of women who debate current issues, vote on resolutions, contribute to local causes, and take part in nation-wide campaigns on issues that matter to them. CFUW members are also the champions of raising close to $1 million to provide scholarships to women attending post-secondary education.
- Sign a petition
- Support a local organization or campaign. Have a cause you’re passionate about? Research your local community for an organization or campaign that reflects change you want to see, and ask how you can support them!
Learn and share news
- Stay informed about how issues are affecting women in your community, in Canada and abroad
- Share news articles with your friends and family, and have informed discussions about what you can do
Take Action on Issues
- Contact your local political representative and make sure your voice is being heard. If you are a member of a CFUW club, speak to your Club President about the CFUW advocacy guidelines for action, or join (or start) your Club’s Issues group.
- Write a letter to the editor
- Join a protest
- Donate to the Charitable Trust and support women pursuing higher education in Canada and abroad. CFUW's National Fellowship and Award recipients have produced work in a variety of academic areas, including international humanitarian efforts, feminist and gender analysis, advanced science and engineering, medicine, public health, and social justice. Your donation has a real and lasting impact on the lives of Canadian women.